All departments who are collection revenue are required to log their daily activity. Revenue should be logged using a Cash Receipt Journal, Cashiering software, or duplicate receipt books. All customers should be provided with a transaction receipt upon completion (unless sent via mail). Below you will find the sample cash receipt journals and receipt expectations:
1. Pick the appropriate journal:
- University Cash Receipts Journal - for deposits to your department’s operating account(s).
- UNI Foundation Receipts Journal - for deposits to your department’s Foundation account(s) (This would be used for checks that are sent to your department but actually are donations or gifts.)
2. Complete all relevant fields:
- On the next available receipt line, complete all requested information, including relevant source and type of fund cells. See sample receipt, “number 0” in purple type.
3. Print a receipt:
- Type in the number corresponding to the receipt you want to print in the "Print receipt #…" field at the top of the cash receipt journal.
- To preview the receipt, select the worksheet tab titled “…Receipt”.
- Click on the "Print Receipt" button.
- A receipt should print containing all the information that was entered in the cash receipt journal for that transaction.
4. Secure records:
- Departmental Cash Receipt Journals should be saved locally, with the password protection turned on. Access to the file should be limited and backed up nightly.
The receipts journal can be customized for your department by updating the information in the upper left column, rows 5-9.
Ensure protection is maintained on the cash receipts pages unless changes are being made to the format of the receipts. After making changes reestablish the protection on these pages to insure the integrity of the receipt pages. The entire cash receipts journal file should be password protected and backed up daily to insure that cash receipt journal transactions are not altered or lost. The cash receipts journals can be printed at anytime for reconciliation or audit purposes.
Questions should be directed to Cashiers-Office@uni.edu or ext. 3-2628.