Office of Business Operations

529 College Savings Plan Payments

A 529 plan is a tax-advantaged savings plan designed to encourage savings and investments for future education costs.

If you have a 529 College Savings Plan that you would like to utilize to make payments towards your U-Bill, please work with your plan provider for the withdrawal of funds. Requests for funds should be made as soon as you are notified that a U-Bill is available to allow time for processing and delivery delays.

Make checks payable to the order of University of Northern Iowa. Include the student’s ID number and name in the memo line. Checks can be mailed to

University of Northern Iowa
Attn: Student Accounts
103 Gilchrist Hall
Cedar Falls, IA 50614-0008

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

My 529 plan provider needs an invoice. How do I obtain one?

If your 529 plan provider is requiring an invoice, use the monthly U-Bill from the Student Center. It is posted on the 2nd business day of the month.  Click here for details how to locate the U-Bill within the Student Center.

Can UNI receive 529 Plan payments electronically?

Some plans do offer the option to have the funds sent electronically. Others may only offer the delivery of plan payments by check. When working with your plan provider, you will need to provide the address above and your UID number and name in the memo so that proper credit can be made.

Will my account be assessed late fees while waiting for payment from my 529 Plan?

If payments are not received by the due date (20th of each month), a late fee of up to 1% may be assessed to the account. To help ensure payments are received by the due date, funds should be requested as soon as you are notified that a U-Bill is available.

How will I know if my 529 plan payment has been received by UNI?

Payments are applied the same day the Office of Business Operations receives them. Students will receive an email receipt after a payment has been posted to their account. Contact your plan provider to ensure payment has been sent to the University.

What charges are considered qualified education expenses for tax purposes at UNI?

Any questions regarding qualified educational expenses should be directed to your 529 plan provider and/or your tax professional.